Monday, October 31, 2011

Watermelon Seeds, Cholesterol, Horse Testicles, Free White Mocha Frap, Chris Corner, and a Beautiful Waxing Crescent

Me and my big mouth had a great day back in the province. Are you ready, Diary? This is going to be a long one...

Dear Diary,

I had a great day in the province. (Yup, it's worth repeating) In fact, it's so great that it would be a futile attempt to summarize it in just one go. So I decided to divide said day into to sub-topics so you could keep up, Diary.

Watermelon Seeds

What was I missing? I never knew you could eat these things; let alone how much time it could pass. Once you crack the shell and eat the nut inside (which surprisingly tastes like tea), it's hard to stop. I found my new snack which apparently has less salt than your standard peanut with all the nuttiness nutrition a standard peanut can offer. Funny thing though, I have a cousin who hates these seeds, because his logic goes like this:

You don't just get the seeds and throw the watermelon away. One has to eat a watermelon, spit out the seeds, dry them, and then salt them. Even though the seed has already gone through drying and salting, the fact that these seeds have been in someone's mouth disturbs him.

Cholesterol

Oh yeah, why did we go to the province, Diary? We were running low on vinegar. And why not buy from your usual grocery? Because vinegar from the province kicks so much more ass than commercial vinegar! So you're saying Diary that we went all the way to the province just for vinegar? We SO could! But don't forget, Diary. It's nearing All Souls' Day. We have to pay a visit to my uncle and my cousin (his daughter) who both died of kidney failure. My cousin's kidneys failed first so my uncle donated his. Unfortunately, his kidney eventually failed as well. Scary thing is that it runs in the family... RIP

Why won't it run in the family? We live on eating anything salty from chicharon (local pork rinds) with vinegar, to fresh-from-the-river seafood with vinegar. Anyway, back to cholesterol.

Remember, "fresh-from the river" seafood. We have boiled shrimp served with sour mangoes. We have live, raw river crabs (talangka) salted and eaten with vinegar. MORE RIVER CRABS. MORE VINEGAR. It's a stomach killer if you're not used to it and a heart killer since it's pure protein and cholesterol in a shell. My dad can only eat two. I ate eight. Good times... It's been a while since I ate those bad boys, err, I mean bad girls.

Fun facts:
The females are easier to pry open.
Yes, gay crabs exist.
The female and gay crabs have more fat. YUM!

Horse Testicles

If you think it's my first time seeing horse testicles or that horse testicles have something to do with my family pastime, you are so wrong in so many ways, Diary. The cemetery is near a barangay (a subdivsion of sorts) called Barangay Bayag-Kabayo; translated, Horse Testicles. As funny as it sounds, it's no laughing matter. It's been an infamous site and burial place of many salvage victims since there is also a crude cemetery in the area. Don't worry, that's not where we're going, Diary.

For more funny names of places in the Philippines, click the orange, out-of-place hyperlink disguised as understandable text to guide the reader more efficiently to an appropriate site.

Free White Mocha Frap

It's been a while since I've dropped by Starbucks... There happened to be a promo in Starbucks, my mom had a load of receipts, so it's FREE FRAPS all around for the entire family! (except for you Diary, you're not family) Suddenly, memories of freshman year flash before my eyes... whatever.

Chris Corner
I have been listening to Sneaker Pimps and IAMX during the entire trip. I just realized how awesome this man is. Besides having these two projects under his belt, he writes, sings, and produces all of his songs. One of the best frontmen I know. I'd say he's a cross between Brendon Urie and Lady Gaga. He's known for the trip-hop sound back in the 90's and now with the cabaret-esque synth-pop atmosphere with operatic vocals IAMX is known for. This man makes me bi-curious and atheist in so many ways... No, Diary. This is not a phase... this is just music. And his is simply enchanting and passionate.

A Beautiful Waxing Crescent

The moon looks bigger than usual the night we arrived back home. A happy Halloween I guess. A hauntingly beautiful way to end the day...

Though this is not the original picture, this it what it looked like; with the actual color and angle. Obviously not the actual size.

As always, your silence is reassuring, Diary. 



Sincerely mine,
Me and My Big Mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment